Monday, November 10, 2008

From MyBestTime -- Universal Recognition

MyBestTime is a blog I came across. I do not know her, but she is a wonderful writer. She used to write in the advertising field.


Universal reconciliation is a gigantic concept. It was also one of my husband's favorite themes. He believed in it. So do I. I guess the difference is that I don't see the whole universe holding hands and singing Kum Ba Ya thing happening in my lifetime. But I agree with my late husband and the Apostle Paul that this is what we should be about. OK, let me rephrase that, this is what I should be about. I know we're all called to different things. Night before last and all day yesterday many people across the world were celebrating. But not everybody. Many (close to half) of the people in this country were sad and disillusioned. Those of us who are happy need to be sensitive and kind about that. I feel strongly that I need to look at all sides of issues that are important to me and to try to respect and understand where others are coming from. I love to read George Will's columns. I don't always agree with him and I don't always understand him - because he's way smarter than I am. Like in this morning's paper he was all about numbers and I didn't really get his point. But in a recent Newsweek article he talked about 3 "Axioms."

1. All news is economic news. That's because all news conditions the public mood, which shapes behavior, which has economic consequences.

2. All economic news is bad. Because any economic development can be construed ominously: Inflation is down? The economy might be slowing. the economy is growing: Inflation might be coming. Either way, woe.

3. Bad news always contains good news. The price of oil (hence gas at the pump) is down. Want to buy a house? Now's the time. I do not believe that God brings terrible times upon us. But I do believe that we discover our strengths in bad times. I believe that people working together in this country and around the world can solve many of our economic problems. And in the process we can be a step closer to universal reconciliation. ***

Labels