Sunday, April 4, 2010

More Fallout on The Big Short

(c) 2010 F. Bruce Abel

-ed note: The Big Short is now No 1 on the NYT Non-Fiction Best Seller List, the first week it is on-- and the first week it could be on!
-ed note2: my wife points out that Michael Lewis's "Liar's Poker" is now back on the paperback Best Seller list. So there's a huge recognition of the importance of Michael Lewis's work here.

Readers of my blog know to keep checking on older blogs which are of especial interest. My recent posts on The Big Short by Michael Lewis, are the quintessential example of this. Because I will update the older post in order to keep as much information in one piece, for my later convenience, even though it is an older blog post.

Now we have an Op-Ed by the very person who benefitted/caused the credit default crash! Burry. In the New York Times.

So I will post the Burry Op-Ed piece here for ease of reference.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/opinion/04burry.html?scp=2&sq=burry&st=cse

This article by Burry is total public relations fluff and a waste of time. What's going on here?

There was a Huffington Post book review which I have posted on my earlier The Big Short blog, and I now post again, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yves-smith/debunking-michael-lewis-t_b_512542.html which criticizes Michael Lewis for lionizing Burry and the others for being so smart. I think there's a deeper purpose to Lewis's writing -- to expose these people and the system which dredges them up. While at one level appearing to praise them.

Having said the above, I have not yet read The Big Short. I am an admirer/expert in Michael Lewis, however, and have been for a long, long time.







Labels