Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Thoughts -- Not Good to Realtors (R)

(c) 2009 F. Bruce Abel

When you have made the mistake of buying a house in June 2006 without even first thinking of selling your Victorian home of 35 years two blocks away in a leafy suburb, and then you have gone through almost three years of Realtors (R), and lowring price, and one firm contract where the buyer used the wavy language of the Realtors (R) "Contract to Purchase," to back out (suit about to be filed by me to test the contract), and have still not sold your house, you have certain intense, intense feelings about Realtors (R).

Take last weekend. Ashley is young and beautiful. But she is the new daughter-in-law of my Realtor (R), the third-highest-producing Realtor (R) in the biggest firm in Cincinnati, Sibcy Cline, and a real marketer.

Ashley is new.

Last Sunday she held an open house at my 885 Greenville from 1:30 to 2:30 pm. No one (i.e. Ashley via Sue, her mother-in-law) thought to make additional copies of the Ohio-mandated handout of Sellers' disclosures, that are to be given to real potential buyers. No one (i.e. Ashley) thought to have copies of the Contract to Purchase.

Now it just so happened that Steve Varmuza, and his wife Marla, had called me late Saturday afternoon, when the Western sun shines through the kitchen in such a beautiful way at 885 Greenville, and said: "Can you come down! There is a couple and her Mom who are extremely interested in viewing your house!"

So I did. After an hour of pleasantry with the couple, her Mom, and the Varmuzas, the couple said they wanted to come to the open house Sunday. And they loved their putative next-door-neighbors.

Now, in my thrall, I admit I did not take the time to pass this information along to Ashley. My bad.

So at 2:30 pm Sunday Ashley tells me "There was this great couple and they are certain they will put in an offer. (Same couple as came Saturday.) I'm awfully sorry but I did not have copies of the disclosures (nor I think, copies of the Contract to Purchase.)"

Tuesday Ashley called me and said the couple went to a Realtor (R) and they got cold feet over my 885 Greenville Victorian. They want to look at other houses.

Labels