Saturday, March 8, 2008

Crash of 1987 and Value of Diversification










[insert of March 14, 2008]
The first page is from a trust as of yesterday, managed by FifthThird.

The second page is perhaps the most important single piece of paper I have saved. I will be referring to it a lot as we go through the next two years.


.



There was a death in the family June 26, 1987, causing a valuation occasion of assets coming to be owned outright from a certain trust, shown above as the "Axxx" Trust. Then came the 1987 crash, which I was following on a minute-by-minute basis, not as a professional.


2667 shares of Procter was in this portfolio. At my urging -- yes, I felt the crash was coming -- shortly before the crash 500 shares of Procter was sold and Treasury Notes worth $50,000 were purchased with the proceeds. When the crash occurred all common stocks went down and the Treasury Notes went up 6%.


Labels